Mumbai police, citing his suicide note, said the 1988-batch Indian Police Service officer took the extreme step 'out of frustration' due to his illness.
The Popular Front of India (PFI) has been extensively using social media for recruiting youths for anti-national activities and one of the modules of the now-banned outfit even had prepared to attack foreigners, especially Jews visiting Vattakkanal, a hill station in Tamil Nadu, officials said.
The agency also recovered an electronic circuit used in making explosives from the rented flat of the terror suspects in Pune's Kondhwa area along with 500 GB data from the devices, he said.
The Anti-Terrorism Squad of the Maharashtra police on Saturday filed a supplementary chargesheet against alleged Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative and 26/11 Mumbai attack handler Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari, alias Abu Jundal, in connection with the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case. "We have filed a 3,650-page chargesheet against Jundal, and named him as an key accused," said an ATS official.
The Maharashtra ATS should wait for its turn as Jundal's arrest was coordinated by the Delhi police, RAW and the Intelligence Bureau, says Vicky Nanjappa
Almost a year after three bomb blasts shook the city killing 27 people and injuring many others, the Anti-Terrorism Squad filed a 4,000-page charge sheet in a special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court against four accused in the case. The four accused -- Naquee Ahmed, Nadeem Shaikh, Kanwar Pathrija and Haroon Naik -- are facing trial under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act, Indian Penal Code and other laws.
Sadhvi, in her bail plea, claimed that she has been languishing in jail for over six years and with two probe agencies submitting contradictory findings to the court, it would not be correct to keep her in jail.
The bail plea of nine persons accused in the 2006 Malegaon blasts has been rejected by a special MCOCA court in Mumbai on Tuesday. The nine accused had moved the special MCOCA court in February seeking bail on the basis of the confessional statement of Swami Aseemanand, a key accused in the Samjhauta Express blasts case. Aseemanand had alleged that right-wing groups were involved in the 2006 bombings.The anti-terrorism squad of the Maharashtra police had investigated the case
The bomb that exploded in Pune last week was made by mixing ammonium nitrate with potassium chlorate and small ball bearings were used as shrapnels to inflict injuries, but there was no gelatin or RDX in it, Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Sqaud said on Thursday.
The residents of Bhatkal, a port town in northern Karnataka, feign ignorance when asked about Yasin, one of their most infamous residents.
The special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court on Friday framed charges against 26/11 handler Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal in the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case. The court filed charges against Jundal under sections of MCOCA, the Indian Penal Code, the Arms Act, the Explosive Substance Act and the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
The Maharashtra police's Anti-Terrorism Squad on Tuesday obtained transit remand of a Lashkar-e-Tayiba militant, who had been arrested in connection with the attack on a Central Reserve Police Force camp in Rampur in Uttar Pradesh, to investigate his links with the terror attack on Mumbai last week.Special Judge (Gangster Act) Mohammad Hussain granted the transit remand of Sabahuddin on an application moved by a Maharashtra ATS team.
Two persons have been arrested from Pune and Nashik by Mumbai's Anti-Terrorism Squad in connection with the German Bakery blast case in Pune that left 16 people dead, Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil said on Wednesday.
Two alleged firearm dealers, arrested in connection with the rationalist Narendra Dabholkar murder case, were on Tuesday remanded in police custody till January 28 by a local court in Pune.
The Bhopal MP was pulled up and asked to refrain from making statements that go against the party's programmes and ideology
The voluminous chargesheet filed by the Anti-Terrorism Squad of Maharashtra Police has clearly stated that Rakesh Dattatraya Dhawade, one of the accused in the Malegaon case, had made arrangements and facilitated training to the accused persons in the Nanded bomb blasts in 2006. Six people were killed in the Malegaon explosions while the Nanded blasts claimed the lives of two persons.
The Mumbai ATS is interrogating a junior commissioned officer and two jawans of the Indian Army in connection with the Malegaon blast case, defence sources have said.
Dr Ram Puniyani, member of the EKTA, Committee for Communal Amity, Mumbai, speaks about the arrests of Muslim youth in Maharashtra.
The Maharashtra police has identified the culprits of the February 13 terror attack on the German Bakery in Pune, said Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil on Tuesday.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Thursday seized two more luxury cars allegedly used by suspended Mumbai police officer Sachin Waze, sources said.
The suspect, identified as Junaid, a resident of Pune, was connected to the LeT's terror network through social media, the official said.
'Why is the Congress not tendering an unconditional apology to the citizens of India?'
A proposal to ban the Sanstha is pending with the Maharashtra government since last year, a top ATS officer said on Tuesday.
A special court on Tuesday allowed Anti-Terrorism Squad of Maharashtra police to subject suspected Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative Mohammed Aslam alias Saleem to scientific tests to find out his role in the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case.
The Supreme Court today stayed the Bombay High Court order directing the Maharashtra government to place before it the report of Pradhan Committee which probed government's response to 26/11 terror attacks.
It discharged three accused -- Shyam Sahu, Shivnarayan Kalsangra and Praveen Takalki -- from the case.
This is what a defiant and talkative Abu Jundal, the Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative and key 26/11 handler who is in the custody of the Gujarat Anti-Terrorism Squad told his interrogators. Vicky Nanjappa reports.
Rich tributes were on Saturday paid to the 26/11 martyrs on the third anniversary of the Mumbai terror attacks by Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and a host of other leaders.
Key handler of 26/11 and Lashkar-e-Tayiba terrorist Abu Jundal was on Thursday remanded in judicial custody by a Delhi court after the Mumbai Anti-Terrorism Squad produced him and stated that he was no longer wanted for interrogation in cases registered against him in Maharashtra. Jundal was produced before Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vidya Parkash by the Mumbai ATS and was sent to Tihar jail.
A special court in Mumbai on Friday extended the police custody of the Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative and key 26/11 handler Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal till September 3 in connection with the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case.
Mansukh Hiren, who was in possession of the car that was found with explosives outside industrialist Mukesh Ambani's residence, in a letter to Maharashtra Chief Minister and Home Minister had alleged that he was being harassed by police and media. He had also claimed that in spite of being a victim, he was treated as an accused.
The low-intensity blast in Pune on Friday that left five people injured was "prima facie" a terror attack, Maharashtra ATS said today and registered a case against unknown persons in connection with the incident.
Opinion on likely cause of the death of Mansukh Hiren, who is said to be the owner of the vehicle with explosives found near industrialist Mukesh Ambani's residence in Mumbai last month, is reserved in his post-mortem report on Saturday, a Thane police official said.
Arrested 26/11 key handler Abu Jundal was brought to Mumbai in the wee hours on Saturday after a Delhi court handed over his custody to Mumbai Anti-Terrorism Squad, which wanted him in connection with a series of terror attacks in Maharashtra.
The special court also directed the ATS to hand over the custody of all the five accused to the NIA and also granted their transit remand to the central investigation agency, said public prosecutor (ATS) Vijay Fargade.
26/11 handler Abu Jundal has been in custody of the Delhi police's special cell since June 21, but insiders say that his 'real' interrogation is yet to begin. Vicky Nanjappa reports
An Anti-terrorism Squad from Maharashtra on Sunday visited several places in Bhatkal in Uttara Kannada district and questioned some persons as part of the investigation into the July 13 serial bomb blasts in Mumbai.
The officer said further investigation and forensic analysis will be done after the mobile handset and details of the seizure are received from Tihar Jail authorities.
In an embarrassment to Digvijay Singh, Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil on Thursday said there was existence of any record of the purported telephonic conversation between the Congress general secretary and slain Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare.
Nishant Agrawal was nabbed in a joint operation by the Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squads (ATS) at BrahMos' Wardha Road facility, an ATS official said.